Lifestyle Newborn Session
As a photographer, capturing the beauty and joy of a new family is a truly special experience. Newborn lifestyle sessions are a fantastic way to document this special time in your life, but they can also be challenging. Here are some tips to help you prepare for a successful newborn lifestyle session in the comfort of your own home.
- Choose the Right Time: Pay attention to when your Newborn likes to sleep. We want them sleepy so they are more cooperative with being posed and appear more relaxed in the photos. We find early to late morning usually works best. However, we get that babies are unpredictable, and if we need to wait a little longer for baby settle it's no biggie, we expect some hiccups! They are babies' after all.
- Plan the Session Around Your Baby's Schedule: Try to schedule the session around your baby's normal feeding and sleeping schedule, so that they are well-fed and rested during the shoot. We love when we arrive and the baby is just finishing up a feed and drifting off to sleep. It's also helpful to change the diaper right before the session. But, again every baby is different and it is super normal to not have much a "true" schedule yet.
- Create a Cozy Atmosphere: Newborns are most comfortable in familiar surroundings, so be sure to create a warm and inviting environment in your home. Soft lighting, cozy blankets, and comfortable furniture can all help set the mood. If we are planning on any doing any individual shots of the baby, it's helpful if the house is a tad warmer than usual so the baby doesn't get cold in between outfit and wrap changes. Typically 2-5 degrees warmer is good!
- We focus on Natural Poses: Lifestyle newborn photography is all about capturing natural and candid moments, so avoid stiff and posed shots. Instead, we try to capture your baby in a variety of relaxed and comfortable positions, such as being cradled in your arms or snuggled up in a blanket. We will do some wrapped individual poses but they are very simple poses that allow your baby to be relaxed as possible. We typically stay away from unnatural poses like frog pose as this requires multiple images to be taken and is a composite image. This is the only way to do it safely. Instead we will wrap your baby a few different ways and place them on a beautiful background. Then we will focus on lifestyle (more candid images).
- Consider Including Family Members: Including other family members, such as older siblings or pets, can add a special touch to your newborn lifestyle session and help capture the love and bond between everyone.
- Have Patience: Newborns can be unpredictable, so be prepared to take breaks and adjust your schedule as needed. Remember that the most important thing is to capture the love and joy of your new family, and a little patience can go a long way. We always allow for extra time in schedule for these sessions, as they can sometimes take longer than planned.
In conclusion, a newborn lifestyle session at home can be a wonderful way to preserve the memories of this special time in your life. By following these tips, you can create a warm and relaxed atmosphere that will help ensure that your session is a success.
Warm Cozy Environment
Feed & Change Baby Right Before Session
Be Prepared for Breaks and Have Patience